Scientists have long recognized the value of using chlorine to kill potentially harmful bacteria. Indeed, you may find chlorine in your drinking water, swimming pool or under-the-sink cleaning solutions. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, chlorine is also useful in making rubber, pesticides and solvents.
While there are a few different ways for manufacturers to make chlorine, a common method uses asbestos diaphragms during the process. Unfortunately, if you have worked in or near a chlorine manufacturing facility, these asbestos diaphragms can make you sick.
The Environmental Protection Agency’s opinion
Recently, the EPA issued a draft risk evaluation about asbestos diaphragms. This evaluation has some alarming findings. Specifically, it concludes that those who work with or near asbestos diaphragms may be vulnerable to asbestosis, mesothelioma and other types of serious cancers.
A list of concerning symptoms
It is unlikely for asbestos diaphragms to pose a risk to the general public. Still, if you have ever worked in a chlorine manufacturing facility, you should not ignore the potential warning signs of serious illness. Among others, symptoms of asbestos-related illness include the following:
- Chest tightness or chest pain
- Shortness of breath or painful coughing
- Unexplained weight loss or appetite loss
- Unexplained lumps, bumps or bruises
The importance of early detection
With all types of asbestos-associated illnesses, early detection often makes the difference between recovering fully and having poor health outcomes. Put simply, your history of working at a chlorine manufacturer should make you hypervigilant.
Ultimately, by seeking medical care at the first sign of illness, you may increase your chances of making a complete recovery.